Freestanding Shelving in Spartan
Freestanding shelving in industrial warehouses is an essential component of efficient storage and organisation systems.
What is Freestanding Shelving?
Freestanding shelving refers to shelving units that are not attached to the walls or the structure of the warehouse. These shelves are self-supporting and can be easily assembled, disassembled, and relocated as needed.
Types of Freestanding Shelving
There are several types of freestanding shelving commonly used in industrial warehouses
- Boltless Shelving: This type of shelving is popular due to its easy assembly, adjustable shelves, and versatility. It typically consists of upright posts and beams that are connected without the need for bolts or tools.
- Pallet Racking: Pallet racking is designed to store goods on pallets and is widely used in warehouses. It provides high-density storage and easy access to inventory using forklifts. Pallet racking systems often include upright frames, horizontal beams, and wire mesh decks.
- Cantilever Shelving: Cantilever shelving is specifically designed for storing long, bulky items such as pipes, lumber, and steel bars. It features horizontal arms that extend from vertical columns, allowing for easy loading and unloading.
- Mobile Shelving: Mobile shelving, also known as compact shelving or high-density shelving, consists of shelving units mounted on tracks or rails. These shelves can be moved laterally to create access aisles only where needed, maximizing storage capacity.
Why choose Freestanding Shelving?
- Flexibility: Freestanding shelving can be easily adjusted, reconfigured, or expanded as inventory needs change. This adaptability allows warehouses to optimise storage space and accommodate different types of products.
- Accessibility: The open design of freestanding shelves facilitates quick and easy access to stored items, improving efficiency in picking, packing, and inventory management processes.
- Durability: Industrial-grade freestanding shelving is designed to withstand heavy loads, making it suitable for storing bulky or heavy items without compromising structural integrity.
- Space Optimisation: Freestanding shelving can be arranged in various configurations to maximize vertical storage space, enabling warehouses to make the most of their available square footage.
- Cost-Effective: Freestanding shelving is generally more cost-effective compared to permanent built-in storage solutions. Its modularity allows for incremental installations and easy relocation when required.
Freestanding Shelving vs Racking
Freestanding shelving and racking both serve different purposes and are suitable for different storage needs in industrial warehouses. It's important to assess your specific storage needs, the characteristics of your inventory, and the available space in your warehouse when deciding between freestanding shelving and racking. In many cases, a combination of both types of storage solutions might be the most optimal approach to meet various storage requirements within the warehouse.
Here are some situations where freestanding shelving might be preferred over racking:
- Versatile Storage: Freestanding shelving provides more versatility in terms of storing a wide variety of items. If your warehouse deals with products of different shapes, sizes, and weights, freestanding shelving allows for more flexibility in adjusting shelf heights and configurations to accommodate diverse inventory.
- Small Parts Storage: If your warehouse primarily handles small parts, components, or items that need to be stored in bins, containers, or boxes, freestanding shelving with adjustable shelves and dividers can be an ideal choice. This type of shelving allows for easy organisation and access to individual items.
- Quick Assembly and Disassembly: Freestanding shelving, particularly boltless shelving, can be quickly assembled and disassembled without the need for specialised tools or expertise. This flexibility is advantageous if you require a storage solution that can be easily modified or relocated as per changing needs.
- Limited Ceiling Height: If your warehouse has a low ceiling height that doesn't allow for the installation of tall racking systems, freestanding shelving provides an efficient alternative. It allows you to maximize the available vertical space without compromising storage capacity.
- Budget Constraints: Freestanding shelving is often a more cost-effective option compared to racking systems, especially when you have a limited budget. It offers a practical storage solution without the additional expenses associated with pallet racking or other specialised racking systems.
- Temporary Storage Needs: If you have temporary or short-term storage requirements, such as storing seasonal inventory or accommodating a temporary increase in stock, freestanding shelving offers the advantage of easy installation and removal. Once the temporary storage needs are fulfilled, the shelving can be disassembled and stored for future use.
We are the number 1 supplier of Freestanding Shelving in Spartan