What is a long span racking system
and what is it used for?
Long span racking systems, also known as wide span racking systems or heavy-duty shelving, are storage solutions designed to accommodate large, bulky, or heavy items in a warehouse or industrial setting. These systems are commonly used to optimise storage space and improve organisation for items that cannot be efficiently stored on standard shelving or pallet racking.
Here are some key features and information about long span racking systems:
- Design and Construction: Long span racking systems typically consist of sturdy upright frames and horizontal beams, forming a framework that supports the shelves. The frames are usually made of steel and are available in various heights and depths to suit different storage requirements. The beams, also made of steel, provide support for the shelves and can be adjusted to different levels for flexibility.
- Load Capacity: Long span racking systems are designed to handle heavier loads compared to standard shelving. The load capacity per shelf can vary depending on the specific system and configuration, but it can range from a few hundred kilograms to several thousand kilograms per level.
- Versatility: These systems are versatile and can accommodate a wide range of items, including large boxes, cartons, tools, equipment, and other bulky or irregularly shaped items. They are commonly used in industries such as manufacturing, distribution, automotive, retail, and more.
- Accessibility: Long span racking systems are designed for easy access to stored items. The wide span between shelves allows for direct access to individual items without the need for moving or displacing other items on the same shelf. This makes picking and organising inventory more efficient.
- Customisation and Adjustability: The shelving levels in long span racking systems are adjustable, allowing for customisation and adaptation to different product sizes. The shelf heights can be modified to accommodate taller items, while additional shelves can be added or removed as needed.
- Durability and Stability: Long span racking systems are built to withstand heavy loads and provide stability. The steel construction ensures durability and long-term reliability. Reinforcements, such as cross-bracing and footplates, enhance the system's stability and load-bearing capacity.
- Safety Considerations: When using long span racking systems, it is essential to adhere to safety guidelines and properly distribute the load to prevent overloading. Adequate training should be provided to personnel involved in loading, unloading, and operating within the storage area to ensure safe practices.
- Integration with Other Storage Systems: Long span racking systems can be integrated with other storage solutions such as pallet racking, mezzanine floors, or modular systems, allowing for a comprehensive and efficient storage setup that meets specific operational needs.
It's important to note that specific variations and configurations of long span racking systems may exist based on manufacturers and industry requirements. We specialise in industrial storage solutions and can provide more detailed and tailored information for specific applications.
Schedule a consultation today.